Skip to main content

Meeting Reports

Whenever we have any meeting, we will write a report here. Newest reports go at the top.

May 17, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Ayush Jain, Meadow Rubalcava, Kris Doan, Joseph Sweatt
Meeting Time1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez
LocationBren Events Center

Ojos Project

We presented our work at the 2024 Undergraduate Research Symposium.

View pics here.

May 16, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentEngineering, Developers
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez, Mark S. Baldwin, Meadow Rubalcava, Kris Doan
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00PM
Report Author(s)Joseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez
LocationRemote

Ojos Project

We did some preparation for the symposium.

May 15, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentEngineering, Developers
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez, Meadow Rubalcava, Jason Martin, Ayush Jain
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00PM
Report Author(s)Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Engineering, Developers

Joseph and Ayush led a resume and symposium breakdown to prepare new or inexperienced members. Carlos started the process to make a supplemental information page for the symposium.

May 10, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentEngineering, Developers
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Carlos, Valdez, Kris Doan, Jesse David, Mai Luong
Meeting Time12:00-4:00 PM
Report Author(s)Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall, Division of Career Pathways

Engineering

Joseph Sent out the poster to ImageWorks @ UCI for it to be printed in time for the symposium. Additionally, Joseph and Kris went to the Division of Career Pathways to obtain professional clothes for the symposium.

May 9, 2024

General Information
Teams Present
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez, Meadow Rubalcava, Mark S. Baldwin, Ayush Jain, Jesse David, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:00-3:00PM
Report Author(s)Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Engineering, Developers

Joseph attended an UROP advisor appointment to get feedback on the poster and iron out final details on the printers before it was sent off to the printers. Mark S. Baldwin also provided key input on changes that can be done to the symposium poster

Engineering

Meadow finished first assembly of her models of the mounting system.

May 8, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentEngineering, Developers
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez, Jesse David, Jason Martin, Meadow Rubalcava, Ayush Jain, Kris Doan
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00PM
Report Author(s)Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Engineering, Developers

The group worked on proofing and finalizing our Symposium Poster before it is sent off to the printers.

Engineering

Meadow continued to CAD her mounting system for the Palliaview design. Joseph attempted a loose assembly fo the physical electronic components. Kris Doan created a electronic component diagram for the poster.

May 9, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt, Jesse David, Mark S. Baldwin, Ayush Jain, Meadow Rubalcava, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Developers

Developers continued to work on the Iris prototype for the symposium. Ayush and Carlos started looking into how to work with the PyGObject library, but noticed the documentation isn't in a singular place. Carlos will look into it more.

May 8, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentJoseph Sweatt, Ayush Jain, Carlos Valdez, Jesse David, Jason Martin, Kristopher Doan, Mai Luong
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Developers

Jason noticed we could make a .sql to create the tables faster. We did so, but we all had to brush up on SQL, specifically with sqlite3.

Carlos started using GitHub Milestones to create agendas for the team.

Last commit of the meeting.

May 3, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Jesse David, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Developers

Carlos tried to help get the developers setup with Pipenv, which proved to be difficult. Carlos and Jason got started with the code and created various modules, such as Database.py, User.py, main.py, and Medications.py.

View the last commit done during the meeting.

May 2, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentEngineering, Developers
Members PresentAyush Jain, Joseph Sweatt, Carlos Valdez, Jesse David, Mark S. Baldwin, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Research Advisor Meeting

We updated the professor about the different designs happening with Developers and Engineering. He asked us about our workflow and mentioned we seem to be doing the waterfall method. Once coding starts, we will be switching a different workflow. We might try agile?

Developers, Engineering

Everybody worked on the 2024 Symposium poster for the Ojos Project.

Carlos and Joseph are actively adding supplemental content on the website for the symposium. Process can be seen in this PR.

Jason looked into Pipfiles and wrote some documentation on it for us to use later. Progress can be seen in this PR.

May 1, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Ayush Jain, Joseph Sweatt, Jesse David, Meadow Rubalcava, Mai Luong, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall, Zoom

Developers

Developers took some time to ensure all of our designs are consistent with one another. We also created a new Filesystem Diagram to help us visualize how Iris will interact with the Linux filesystem.

Developers also continued to work on the Requirements.

We plan on starting development this Friday.

We introduced a new developer! Welcome Mai!

Engineering

Engineering developed more into the mounting system and adjusted previous models now that we have parts to use and measure from.

April 26, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Ayush Jain, Jason Martin, Jesse David
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Developers

Developers decided to work on the Iris database scheme since working on class diagrams became complicated without having a solid idea of what exactly the database will have. The database schema is mostly finalized.

Carlos took time to research how to implement Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs) into the database and decided to use PROMIS.

Ayush and Jason worked on creating a dummy database to see how effective our schema is.

Carlos and Jesse worked on a flowchart diagram for the Symposium.

Engineering

While Joseph and Meadow continue on the CAD modeling of the Palliaview, Kris highlighted key problems that we needed to address in the mounting system.

Additionally, parts were able to be purchased with an estimated arrival of May 1, 2024. Any additional parts such as fastener and thread inserts are still need for purchase.

The following are still underway.

  • Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
  • Computer-Aided Drawings (CAD)
  • Electrical Diagrams
  • Engineering Reports

April 25, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt, Ayush Jain, Jesse David, Meadow Rubalcava, Mark S. Baldwin, Kristopher Doan, Jason Martin
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Research Advisor Meeting

Engineering requested things to be bought for the prototype. The professor bought the required hardware during the meeting.

Developers explained the prototype we're trying to program, which is a text notification every time a medication is logged. We also explained that the open-source accessibility tools we're looking into are either not updated anymore or require more research.

We spoke about the Symposium and the abstract we wrote. We don't need to add the open-source tools we're using in the abstract, though it's a good idea to mention them in our poster, potentially with a QR code. We also clarified that we're using the open-source AAC tools, and improving upon those tools is not the focus of this project; therefore, it's not needed to add it in the abstract.

note

The website has a /qr/ path we should use to ensure there's no broken links. Check the GitHub repository for how it works.

Developers

Developers continued to work on C4 models. We near finalized the component diagram, though they're going to look into it more. We also started working on class diagrams and noticed the diagrams became a bit too messy. We're going to work on a SQL schema before continuing with the class diagrams.

We will also start a new iteration of the requirements.

Engineering

The Engineers continues with our digital modeling of the first prototype. Additionally, we managed to classify our kiosk name to work in tandem with our IRIS Software. For now the Kiosk will now be name the Palliaview.

Furthermore, We began to make a checklist of future reports and illustrations needed to be produced:

  • Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
  • Computer-Aided Drawings (CAD)
  • Electrical Diagrams
  • Engineering Reports

April 24, 2024

General Information
Teams PresentDevelopers, Engineering
Members PresentCarlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt, Ayush Jain, Meadow Rubalcava, Jesse David
Meeting Time12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
Report Author(s)Carlos Valdez, Joseph Sweatt
LocationUndergraduate Research Lab @ Donald Bren Hall

Developers

The Developers worked on the C4 Model more, creating a rough draft of the Container Diagram and the Component Diagram, both of which will be found in the C4 Model page.

The Developers have also agreed to develop a mobile app for Iris written in React Native to keep only one extra codebase. This app would be available for iOS, Android, and the Web. It is currently codenamed "Iris Lite" and is meant to be a read-only version of the Iris data.

The Developers have agreed to meet on Fridays from 12 PM - 4 PM to ensure we have prototype software for the Symposium.

We have a checklist we have to get done before the Symposium:

  • Finish C4 Model
  • Figma prototypes
  • Learn... (we may decide to choose a different language)
    • Rust
    • GNOME ecosystem

Engineering

Engineering Team has begun the Computer Aided Design Process for two systems for our Kiosk Device:

  • Kiosk Tablet
  • Mounting System

Additionally, we have finalized our first shopping list for the prototype we will be presenting during our 2024 Symposium

Previous Reports

Before this page, we didn't exactly have "meeting reports". Rather, we just took attendance in an internal Google Docs, which you can view here if you have access.